HappyHips

Teenage and Young adult Hip Dysplasia and Impingement.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Metal Work Removal

Rachaelellen17

Hi, I'm 23 years old and in march next year I am having a plate and five screws removed from my femur. 

I had a femoral osteotomy when I was 18 months old and the metal work has been in place ever since.

I am having this removed to make the way clear for when I finally have my hip replaced.

Has anyone been through a similar experience and could you give me any advice?

thank you

November 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hp
Site Owner

Hi Rachael,

I never had my metal work removed before my hip replacement as i was told it would be too risky and could be quite painful and there was no problem with leaving it in, so didnt want to put myself through it. I had a hip replacement 2 years ago and they removed my metal work then.

Good luck and keep us updated. :-)

--

Founder of HappyHips:)

December 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruqayyah

Hi Rachel.
I had mine removed before as a single surgery. For me it was quite a quick procedure. My surgeon said it was extremely difficult to remove as like you I had it put in when I was 2 and removed when I was 12. I went home the morning after, although could easily have gone home the same evening, except I always have terrible reactions, mainly nausea and vomiting post surgery. I was on crutches for 2-3 weeks. Pain was minimal aswell. But it depends on different people.
Also I got to keep my plate and pins!! It was awesome! You may or may not find this as exciting but I loved it and yes they are displayed in my room. Im a student in healthcare so find these things pretty interesting. There's a picture of them in the photos section.
Ruqayyah xx

December 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rachaelellen17

Thank you so much for your reply, you have put my mind at rest because I was thinking it would be quite a big op and that I would have to stay in hospital for a while.
Do you mind me asking who did your op? The consulant has never seen a hip like mine before and so I have been worrying quite a lot. However Happy Hips has made me feel 100% better because theres loads of us with similar problems :) (Yes I will definitely be keeping my plate and screws, I have been looking after them in my hip 23 years nearly so they are mine! ha!)

Thanks again

Rach x

December 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruqayyah

Hi Rach,
The surgeon who removed my plate and pins was someone called Miss Jo Hicks at Wycombe General Hospital.
I'm really glad you're with us! We hope to give people like you a unique platform to talk about what you are going through! :)
Ruqayyah

--

Line Manager at HappyHips :) x

December 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rachaelellen17

Well I've received this morning the date for my operation, 14th march! Feeling quite nervous now as my consultant has said he doesn't really know what he is going in to, because I had the metal work put in at such a young age, we aren't sure exactly how deep in my femur it has gone. Hopefully it will be more straight forward than he thinks, watch this space!...x

January 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Laura

Hope all goes ok xx

January 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rachaelellen17

Hi everyone, well I'm now 5 weeks and 4 days post op. The op went well but took a lot long than expected, I was in theatre for 4 hours and they had to break my femur to get the metal out, unfortunately they couldn't get all of it out but the consultant says this shouldn't be a problem when I come to have my THR. I have an appointment on Wednesday with my consultant to see how I am healing. Had a few set backs though as the week after my op I contracted a nasty viral infection and I was super ill, because of that I got a small infection in my wound :( I've been pretty miserable to be honest, it's so hard being on crutches and not being able to do much for myself, I've just literally felt like crying most of the time. Don't get me wrong my family have been there to help me but unless you have been through an operation like us, people don't understand. I really hope we can support more people that are going through similar experiences because it is so important to keep your sanity and talk about it!! Thanks for reading :) Xx

April 21, 2014 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.