HappyHips

Teenage and Young adult Hip Dysplasia and Impingement.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Anyone else had this?

Amy

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here for a while as luckily my hip (until recently) has been great. I had my lpao in jan 2012, aged 15,thankfully my recovery was all almost perfect and I managed to complete my GCSEs, AS levels with no problem.

I've always been in a bit of pain day to day but nothing major and have been since being diagnosed as a toddler. But from October (2013) I've been in near enough constant pain for no apparent reason, it took what seemed like forever (well about a month and a half lol) to get an emergency appointment at the RNOH; x-rays didn't really show anything. Had an mri arthrogram in the beginning of jan(but have managed to go private through my dad's work as the NHS wait was rather ridiculous, so at least the process from now on will be quicker).

Found out on last week that I've got torn cartilage in my left hip, but my consultant is concerned as I also have had terrible pain in my right hip and back too; with a, what feels like a nerve like sensation/pain, down my leg to my foot.

Having some painkiller injection tomorrow which is supposed to reduce the pain (what are peoples experiences with this?). Hopefully if this injection helps I will have a surgery to repair the tear. But if the pain continues I'll need more tests on my right hip and back (but I'll only think about this if it comes to it).

Just wondering what other people's experiences of this has been like. My only concern is the timing as I am in my final year at school, have applied (and have offers yay!!) to study physiotherapy at university in September and I really don't want it to affect school/ exams.

I'm keeping positive but the constant pain is making it really hard to focus and I can't really take strong painkillers as they make me really drowsy so there's a problem either way! BUT at least I now have answers and am on the road to getting it sorted!!

Thanks if you're reading this, any replies would be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone is doing good!

Amy

January 20, 2014 at 4:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Laura

Sorry to hear your having a bad time...I know what you mean by painkillers making u drowsy..mine make me so ill. I'm in similar situation..having my back and right hip checked out as is a lot of pain. I hope the injection helps..is it a steroid injection? They r pretty ouch. Seem to take forever to get answers to anything.

hope all goes well today x

January 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Amy

Yes it was a steroid, wasn't painful at all really (they made it sound like it really hurt). Still in the same amount of pain but hopefully in a few days it will start to kick in. Do they know what's causing your pain yet? X 

January 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Laura

Erm...nope..was down in London yesterday but still no answers...I'm sure it's a labral tear so going up to Darlington for a second opinion now and an MRI on my back to check that out. Fingers crossed your pain eases!! Glad it all went ok xx

January 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Amy

Just got back from seeing my consultant, have been given an operation date for next tuesday (5th march). He will try and fix the cartilage tear and shave off a bit of bone on the head which is catching. He's slightly concerned that the cartilage damage is quite bad but we'll just have to wait and see!! Any more news on your hips?

February 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.